The Central Mississippi Chapter meets at 6:30pm on the Third Thursday in February, May, September, and November at the Masonic Lodge 638, located at 7454 Old Canton Road in Madison, MS.
Mississippi Society, Sons of the American Revolution
The chapter was so named to cover the membership in Jackson and the central Mississippi area. In February, 1953, in advance of the annual state meeting at the Edwards Hotel, the chapter elected the following officers at the Walthall Hotel:
-President: Harry Terrlll "Teb" Chandler Sr. (NSSAR 72876, MS 177);
-Vice-President: Richard Perry Cotting (NSSAR 75039, MS 240);
-Secretary/Treasurer: Stewart James Parker Sr. (NSSAR 58257, MS 83);
-Chaplain: Rev. Alexander Whyte Whitaker Jr (NSSAR 70917 MS 143); and
-Historian: Percy Lee Clifton, Esq. (NSSAR 21228, MS 3), State Charter Member.
The chapter committee chairmen were: Dr. Roger Lewis, Membership and Attendance; Bob Hardy, Patriotism; and Percy Clifton, Constitution and Bylaws, The chapter hosted the state convention and banquet with over one hundred members and guests attending. Originally, the chapter met at the Walthall Hotel, but later moved to Mary Frances Tea Shoppe on North State Street.
On September 21, 1953, the chapter was chartered as a Mississippi nonprofit corporation. At the December meeting, new officers were elected: Richard Cotting, President; Felix Bryan Daniels, Vice President; Dr. Roger Lewis, Secretary-Treasurer; Robert Earl Hardy, Chaplain; Registrar: Julian Johnson; and Dr. H.F. Magee, Historian. They were installed at the January meeting, the following year.
In the Autumn of 1952, H.T. Chandler traveled to a meeting of the Greenwood Chapter with prospective member Dr. E. E. Flournoy to discuss forming a chapter in Jackson. On December 5, members of the Greenwood chapter attended the installation of the provisional officers at the Heidelberg Hotel of the new Central Mississippi Chapter.